Documentary evidence is available to certify that the Laune Anglers’ Association existed as an active fishing club on the river Laune in the year 1912, but later became dormant.
The Association was re-established under the title Laune Salmon Anglers’ Association, with its headquarters in Milltown, Co. Kerry.
The Christian Brothers in Milltown; the Parish Priest of Milltown, Fr. J. McCloskey, and Secondary School Teacher Gabriel Gallagher, were mainly responsible for the active re-emergence of the club. Though the club was officially re-named ‘The Laune Salmon Anglers’ Association’ in 1963, it is still referred to locally, and throughout the county, as ‘The Milltown Club’, due to having its roots in Milltown.